More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Mad Men

Go down 
+19
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Control
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
Toppers
GeneralGogol
trevanian
Makeshift Python
MBalje
colly
Fairbairn-Sykes
Prince Kamal Khan
retrokitty
Fae
CJB
Salomé
Vesper
The White Tuxedo
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't think Betty should be dropped entirely, but I think a move to recurring (which she kind of was in S4 if I recall) would be the best. Unless they can find something really interesting to do with her character. I do like the idea of Henry being involved with politics and Betty being a political wife. I just don't think she should be dropped entirely.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 am

If they hadn't gone and made Sally Draper such a pivotal character I'd agree she'd be irrelevant but well, they did.

And I'd rank Jones above Slattery, Staton, and Sommer... and the kid who plays Bobby, and at this stage, Shipka. (Clutching at straws? What straws?)

Slattery was typecast for two decades or so for a reason laugh, outside of the witty/playboy shtick he's not particularly good for much other than this role... Hendricks elevates him, but even then there were moments last season where

Jones is not exceptional by any means but she's got a role that's just suited for her abilities, IMO.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 08, 2011 12:42 pm

For Dutch/Belgium people S3 of Mad Men starts tonight 22.55/23.00-23.50 Nederland 2. Each Wednesday. Episode 1-7 (8,15,22,29 June / 6, 13 and 20 July) around 22.55/23.00 and the last 6 episdes (27 July / 3,10,17,24 and 31 August.) around 23.20/23.30 til 00.20. The last episode of season 3 be on 31 August.

Mad Men - Page 2 Headermadmenseizoen3van
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 am

Just started watching this bitch. On episode four now. I like it. I'll chime in my thoughts when I finish the season.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:49 am

I think the thing with the Jones character is that they didn't push hard enough when they had her act out. Her brief encounter at the end of s2 could have been something electrifying and disturbing, like Lee Remick in a heap and barking at mongrel dogs in HARD CONTRACT. Instead, it just felt obligatory.

I probably shouldn't second-guess a show I like this much, but there's always something missing with her character for me. I wonder if she'd get cast as an android in a BLADE RUNNER remake, there's a serious lack of empathy she gives off in the things i've seen her thus far. (on the BR subject, gotta say that I'd welcome a legit/faithful adaptation of DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP, which I think could be managed without owing much to Scott's landmark version.) January Jones always make me think FemBot, like a contemporary Mudd's Woman on TREK. (not that that is a good thing.)
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm finishing up season 2 and so far am loving Mad Men for what it is. It's obviously a show that's in love with its own style and some of the substance is fairly shallow and robotic, but Jon Hamm and Christina Hendricks make it very watchable. Betty should be shown more often in lingerie though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 15, 2011 10:54 am

Be careful what you wish for. Betty turns into a monster.
Back to top Go down
Toppers
'R'
'R'
Toppers

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 7:17 am

They better not cut Morse. Yeah, he brings no real substance to the story, but some of the stuff he comes out with is just downright funny.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Have to admit, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) was the real draw in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I didn't care much for his character in Season 4, but one actor who has probably been overlooked throughout the entire series, but I find the most interesting and consistently entertaining, is Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser). There's something so desperate and sad about him; no matter how hard he tries to get ahead, it always seems to just barely elude his grasp. He's overshadowed by Draper at every turn. I loved it when he got fired and had a panic attack and a meltdown in his office.

Of course January Jones was a fox in the first few seasons, but she's started to come across as a totally unsympathetic bitch. And often the series seems to bring up plot points that it never resolves i.e. Betty's shaking hands or the date rape of Joan by her fiance (later to become her husband).

And, I know this'll sound cliched, but give Draper a comma of black hair dangling in his face and a scar down his cheek and THIS IS JAMES BOND 007. I think Matt Weiner has even said he drew a lot of inspiration from Fleming's 007 novels (or the Connery films)
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:44 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Have to admit, Don Draper (Jon Hamm) was the real draw in the first 2 or 3 seasons. I didn't care much for his character in Season 4, but one actor who has probably been overlooked throughout the entire series, but I find the most interesting and consistently entertaining, is Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser). There's something so desperate and sad about him; no matter how hard he tries to get ahead, it always seems to just barely elude his grasp. He's overshadowed by Draper at every turn. I loved it when he got fired and had a panic attack and a meltdown in his office.

Of course January Jones was a fox in the first few seasons, but she's started to come across as a totally unsympathetic bitch. And often the series seems to bring up plot points that it never resolves i.e. Betty's shaking hands or the date rape of Joan by her fiance (later to become her husband).

And, I know this'll sound cliched, but give Draper a comma of black hair dangling in his face and a scar down his cheek and THIS IS JAMES BOND 007. I think Matt Weiner has even said he drew a lot of inspiration from Fleming's 007 novels (or the Connery films)

When I started season 1, I expected Campbell to be among the main leads, like Draper, throughout the whole series. He's nowhere near as fascinating, but I agree that he does bring some unintentional comedy and some of his desperation is entertaining.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 am

Just finished S2. Just gets better and better. I'll comment more when I finish S4. Don't want to run into spoilers in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Series four is a nosedive compared to the previous three, IMO. Everything's a bit too on the nose.

Still interested in series 5 though. Seeing auteurs implode is fun and it'll have to happen to Weiner sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:25 am

Oh, I don't know about that. I thought S3 had some pretty significant weak stretches, and, on the whole, I think I preferred S4 to S3. It's true that things may be a bit more on the nose, but S4 is a bit more consistent than S3.

As far as S5 goes, they need to move away from some of the mainstay plotlines of the first four seasons, which have all run out of mileage, and get Don Draper into a different place. Hopefully they realize that.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 am

Mad Men - Page 2 Article-2050362-0E52736700000578-285_468x803

How the mighty have fallen :/
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 4:52 am

Ugly Betty?
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Part of me hopes its just a bad angle and she... y'know, still has a neck post-pregnancy.

At least we'll still have Jessica Pare: :twisted:

Mad Men - Page 2 6929878a32f1d3dbff030df00dcecbcf
Mad Men - Page 2 Large_image-1

Tux, marginally related to this thread but have you managed to check out Boardwalk Empire yet?

Quote :
Oh, I don't know about that. I thought S3 had some pretty significant weak stretches, and, on the whole, I think I preferred S4 to S3. It's true that things may be a bit more on the nose, but S4 is a bit more consistent than S3.

I'll agree on consistency but I don't think it's worth it. I'd gladly sit through another 'The Fog' or 'Seven Twenty Three' if it meant getting three slam dunks in a row like the last three episodes of that season. Season four didn't really build to anything because the one thing anyone could tell was that they weren't going to scuttle those brand new sets after only a season, and thus that the agency would survive. It set up some intrigue for the next season with Betty and Don making peace of sorts, Don falling short of reinventing himself and settling for Megan, and Peggy, Pete and Joan and everyone else becoming further distanced and disillusioned with Don Draper the leader, but nothing really noteable on its own.

Quote :
As far as S5 goes, they need to move away from some of the mainstay plotlines of the first four seasons, which have all run out of mileage, and get Don Draper into a different place. Hopefully they realize that.

Very much agree. Though I suspect the Dick Whitman thing still won't be put to rest and it'd seem too out of character for Draper's marriage with Megan to wind up all that different from his marriage to Betty.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Vesper wrote:
Tux, marginally related to this thread but have you managed to check out Boardwalk Empire yet?

I very much want to.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Vesper wrote:

I very much want to.

I think the first season hits dvd in January. It's HBO so it'll probably take another two years for season two though laugh

eta: but yeah, it has a way bigger scope than Mad Men. It also has actual exterior shots once in awhile! I also think it benefits from having a constant director's input in Tim Van Patton vs Mad Men post-Alan Taylor. Check out this clip, it rocks, without context it's pretty mild on spoilers:

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 3:09 am

Finally caught up. So, when do you think the next season will be set?
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 am

According to Weiner a year where 'nothing happened' I'm not sure if that makes it 66, 67 or 65 again.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:42 pm

I wanna see Sally Draper join the Manson family.

Whatever happens, Sally's the character whose development (that doesn't sound right) I most wanna see at this point.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Sally is 10 isn't she? That would make her just 14 or 15 when Manson commits his crimes. The early Symbionese Liberation Army would be a better fit, but I doubt Mad Men will make it to the early 1970s.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 10:58 pm

I'm thinking Sally with a toaster, Betty in the bath.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:08 pm

'Betty in the Bath' happens to be the title of my favourite 1940s stag.

The bathtub was both filmset and processing facility.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 11:16 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I'm thinking Sally with a toaster, Betty in the bath.
I'm not part of the so called group that LOATHES Betty, but I'm getting a kick out of that image. Whatever it is, there seems to be big plans for Sally.

Anyone else got it for Trudy? I'm attracted mostly to her voice. Well, we'll see where things go with Papa Pete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mad Men - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Mad Men
Page 2 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Television & Radio-
Jump to: