More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

Go down 
+20
bondfan06
dr. strangelove
Drax
saint mark
Salomé
Blunt Instrument
Vesper
Lazenby.
CJB
Tubes
Prisoner Monkeys
GeneralGogol
j7wild
The White Tuxedo
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Control
Makeshift Python
Hilly
Jack Wade
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII Empty
PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 9:48 pm

Looks like it might be J.J. Abrams after all.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

I'm no Star Wars fan but I do like J.J. Abrams, though he might be a bit of an obvious choice. Then again, I know a lot of people love to hate him, which I don't get. I assume that's largely because of Star Trek, at least around here, but for me personally, I enjoyed it, though I admit I had no prior ties to the franchise.

Sure, he's no revolutionary, but I find much of his work to be good fun. He seems like a good storyteller. I really dig Lost, Fringe, Super 8, etc.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:05 pm

well, used to say that JJ always wanted to make a SW film and he got his wish with Star Trek XI...suppose he'll bring Gianchino on if he does get the gig.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 pm

Giacchino is pretty much a lock if Abrams is on board, I'd say. There's another guy I don't get some of the hate for. I'd much rather listen to him than the droning Hans Zimmer types.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
Giacchino is pretty much a lock if Abrams is on board, I'd say. There's another guy I don't get some of the hate for. I'd much rather listen to him than the droning Hans Zimmer types.

I don't mind the musical side of the Abrams juggernaut. As you say he's probably better than the Zimmeresque composers.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Abrams could work for Star Wars, much much more suitable than he was for Trek. As for Giacchino, can't say I'm excited. I actually liked his score for UP, but beyond that I found must of his stuff forgettable even below David Arnold's level.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Python wrote:
As for Giacchino, can't say I'm excited. I actually liked his score for UP, but beyond that I found must of his stuff forgettable even below David Arnold's level.

Agreed. Chances are you could pick one track from a decent John Williams album and it'll be greater than Giacchino's whole career in music. Plus, if Williams gets canned, I don't think Giacchino is capable of making a Williams-esque score. (I imagine this is what they're going to want to do.)

Disney's loss, too.

They should just shell out the money for the real deal. Why replace John Williams? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's not setting out to retire anytime soon. Seems to be as healthy as an ox. There's not one single reason not to hire Williams for the job, unless there are some contract/studio differences, or if he simply doesn't want to be associated with the franchise anymore. Other than that, if they don't bring him back, then they're cheap bastards and don't give a damn about one of the most important aspects of this franchise. Plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Was that confirmed? I thought that was just speculation that Giacchino would get the gig because he's dick buddies with Abrams. I think they'll definitely go for Williams unless he says "nah, I'm Spielberg's dick buddy, sorry". That's the only guy he's been working with for 8 years now.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
Then again, I know a lot of people love to hate him, which I don't get. I assume that's largely because of Star Trek, at least around here, but for me personally, I enjoyed it, though I admit I had no prior ties to the franchise.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I hate everything he's done. SUPER 8, LOST, CLOVERFIELD, MI3, ALIAS etc. I think he's a dumb hack who should go back to where he belongs. Network television.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 pm

Python wrote:
Was that confirmed? I thought that was just speculation that Giacchino would get the gig because he's dick buddies with Abrams. I think they'll definitely go for Williams unless he says "nah, I'm Spielberg's dick buddy, sorry". That's the only guy he's been working with for 8 years now.

Steven Spielberg and John Williams: BFF.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:50 pm

Python wrote:

No confirmation.

Disney: "Hi, John. We were wondering if you'd like to compose for the next STAR WARS film."
Williams: "Hahaha... Have a good day."
*click*

If that's not the way it goes, then Disney and Abrams are just cheap, ignorant pricks.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:51 pm

"You're making a seventh of those turds?"
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

The impression I got from a recent interview was that WIlliams liked returning to Star Wars in 1999 through 2005. Finding new ways and new themes etc

I'll say, still, that a new Williams Star Wars score is the only that revs my motor over EpVII.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:55 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/

Interesting that Ben Affleck *was* considered.

I have no problem with Abrams. He'll do a considerably better job getting performances from his actors than Lucas ever could (if he even bothered). He's a director that doesn't let the technology overwhelm the story or the performance. He doesn't seem bored by directing. I have no problems with this pick, as it will keep Christopher Nolan free to direct BOND 24 and BOND 25.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/

Interesting that Ben Affleck *was* considered.

I have no problem with Abrams. He'll do a considerably better job getting performances from his actors than Lucas ever could (if he even bothered). He's a director that doesn't let the technology overwhelm the story or the performance. He doesn't seem bored by directing. I have no problems with this pick, as it will keep Christopher Nolan free to direct BOND 24 and BOND 25.

Except, this happened: http://www.chud.com/122594/steven-spielbergs-interstellar-has-become-christopher-nolans-interstellar/
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 pm

Honestly, I hate J.J. Abrams' work.

However, he seems to do well with sci-fi, fantasy, and action films. He also has a decent following. Therefore, I'd have to say that he's probably perfect for the job. I can see why Disney picked him.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Control wrote:
Python wrote:
As for Giacchino, can't say I'm excited. I actually liked his score for UP, but beyond that I found must of his stuff forgettable even below David Arnold's level.

Agreed. Chances are you could pick one track from a decent John Williams album and it'll be greater than Giacchino's whole career in music. Plus, if Williams gets canned, I don't think Giacchino is capable of making a Williams-esque score. (I imagine this is what they're going to want to do.)

Disney's loss, too.

They should just shell out the money for the real deal. Why replace John Williams? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's not setting out to retire anytime soon. Seems to be as healthy as an ox. There's not one single reason not to hire Williams for the job, unless there are some contract/studio differences, or if he simply doesn't want to be associated with the franchise anymore. Other than that, if they don't bring him back, then they're cheap bastards and don't give a damn about one of the most important aspects of this franchise. Plain and simple.
I can't speak for Star Wars fans but I think Giacchino is a better option than most of the big, non-John Williams names that will be considered.

I'm tired of everyone recycling Hans Zimmer. From what I can tell, Giacchino hasn't really gone down that alley yet.

Largo's Shark wrote:
Jack Wade wrote:
Then again, I know a lot of people love to hate him, which I don't get. I assume that's largely because of Star Trek, at least around here, but for me personally, I enjoyed it, though I admit I had no prior ties to the franchise.

I can't speak for everyone here, but I hate everything he's done. SUPER 8, LOST, CLOVERFIELD, MI3, ALIAS etc. I think he's a dumb hack who should go back to where he belongs. Network television.
Different strokes. I think most of his work does more right than wrong, though Lost teeters both ways.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:15 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
Control wrote:
Python wrote:

Disney's loss, too.

I can't speak for Star Wars fans but I think Giacchino is a better option than most of the big, non-John Williams names that will be considered.

I'm tired of everyone recycling Hans Zimmer. From what I can tell, Giacchino hasn't really gone down that alley yet.

I see what you mean. He's probably one of the better options of the newer generation of composers (and considering they're only going to hire a blockbuster composer anyway). Thomas Newman and Alberto Iglesias are other solid options, but highly unlikely to get the job. It'd be hilarious if Zimmer did. Also unlikely.

Honestly, I'm sure it boils down to either Williams or Giacchino. It wouldn't be unlike Williams to drop a big franchise. He did that with HARRY POTTER. But, STAR WARS is such a huge part of his career now.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 pm

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII 149969
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 2:46 am

"Who gives a fuck?" is my reaction. This will be his third Star Wars movie anyway, so he'll have experience. At least Trek wil be rid of him in the directing capacity. I just wish this had happened sooner, before he had the chance to direct STINO.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 am

Abrams has signed on to direct Episode 7?

He is a hack!

He is ruining the Star Trek franchise and now he is going to ruin the Star Wars franchise too!

He will be responsible for the downfall of the 2 biggest science fiction film franchises in celluloid history!

Get ready for a million annoying flare lens in Episode 7!!
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 am

Who knows. After those piece of shit prequels, it'd take a lot to really fuck up STAR WARS now. That's one reason for fans to be optimistic.

They could have always gone with Brett Ratner.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:07 am

j7wild wrote:
Get ready for a million annoying flare lens in Episode 7!!

It's lens flare.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 4:20 am

laugh

The Flare Lens by Carl Zeiss
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:21 am

While I think Abrams' sensibilites are more suited to Wars, I don't think he's a good pick. Certainly not if he's gonna bring the hyper 8 year-old style of STINO to EP7.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII EmptyFri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 am

Looking forward to a space fighter pilot trainee get promoted to a colonel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII   JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII Empty

Back to top Go down

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next