More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)

Go down 
+8
Largo's Shark
jaguar007
Prince Kamal Khan
dalton
trevanian
Lazenby.
GeneralGogol
Gravity's Silhouette
12 posters

Sean Bean (Goldeneye)
Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_lcap10%Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Robert Carlyle (The World Is Not Enough)
Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_lcap5%Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Robert Davi (License To Kill)
Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_lcap67%Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_rcap
 67% [ 14 ]
Louis Jourdan (Octopussy)
Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_lcap0%Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Christopher Walken (A View To A Kill)
Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_lcap18%Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Vote_rcap
 18% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 21

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Empty
PostSubject: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 1:04 am

I know there are lots of threads with "best of" and "worst of" lists, etc...but these polls that I'm going to be posting are not just generic, run-of-the-mill polls, but ask you to really, really assess the talent of the people in the categories listed. These posts, like the Oscars or The Razzies, are meant to get an idea of who is the most and least talented, not who you like the most. For example, I love Famke Janssen's performance in Goldeneye. It was fun and exciting, but speaking purely on the merits of talent I cannot say that it was a flawless performance. So please vote for the specific performance/talent involved, or lack thereof, and not simply who you just happen to like or personally dislike.

These polls will not be broken down and based upon type of role (i.e Bond Girl, villain, henchman, etc...) but strictly on talent

Polls close in 45 days. Ceremony announcing the winners and losers to take place in the Commander's Dining Room of the Denny's of your choice.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 1:51 am

Davi all the way!
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 1:57 am

GeneralGogol wrote:
Davi all the way!

Incidentally, I did not include actors or actresses whose voices were dubbed.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 3:40 am

Gave the Walken a very narrow victory over Bob Davi, though it's close to the point of equal.

Don't know why Sean Bean's standard leering makes the the list, as I can think of quite a few performances which were better (IMO)....

Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) 11558d1301683384-av-conspiracy-telly-savalas
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:32 am

Can't imagine why Walken is on the list, unless it is based on his non-Bond work. I think Davi is really good, and I think Bean is too ... but I think I'm going to jump off the page and say Brandauer, since his character is postmodern, seeming to know when there is a camera on him and how to play to it. As they almost used to say about movie musicals, 'now THAT'S megalomania!'
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 am

trevanian wrote:
I'm going to jump off the page and say Brandauer

Great call, and I possibly would have voted for him had he been on the list. Both he and Walken had the (shockingly rare in acting) quality of making their lines sound spontaneous through the portrayal of thought process.

Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 5:19 am

It's like they do the Brando thing without it seeming like an actor's work process. It's walking a wire to do it, so they don't always pull it off, but it is compelling nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
dalton
Cipher Clerk
dalton

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 5:21 am

For me, it's Robert Davi without question. Great performance of a great character, and the dynamic that he and Dalton brought to the film was excellent.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 5:33 am

Where's Robert Shaw?
Back to top Go down
jaguar007

jaguar007

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 9:46 am

or
Pedro Armendáriz????
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:54 am

Bean's accent was in Sheffield freefall so I give it to Davi.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 12:17 pm

Robert Carlyle doesn't belong here. More like mad wae it in some Glasgow chippy.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 1:15 pm

Prince Kamal Khan wrote:
Where's Robert Shaw?

I haven't put up the Male Supporting category....yet..

To address some of the other concerns....I thought about doing a nominating process first, but don't we already have that in the "elimination" games, so to speak?

Pedro and Robert will be in on the Supporting Actor category. I believe that these five actors gave the best performances by a male in a lead role. I don't compare it to their body of work outside of Bond, but just within the context of the series. I"m also trying to be balanced and find talent from all eras, but my line in the sand was dubbing; if the actor was dubbed I try not to use them (I may have missed one or two).
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Topol?

At any rate, the only lead actor in a Bond film is the actor playing Bond, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Ed Tom Kowalsky wrote:
Topol?

At any rate, the only lead actor in a Bond film is the actor playing Bond, IMO.

I have a separate category for the Bond Performance. It'll be going up soon.
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 pm

From the pool of talent offered I have to go with Robert Carlyle, if only for that moment when he's kissing Elektra goodbye and you can see his emotional pain at not being able to feel her lips anymore.

I almost find myself thinking, 'aw, poor guy...' then I remember that he is a lifelong terrorist about to nuke Istanbul. Then I remember that he's only doing it because he's being used by a woman whose incapable of love, and I find myself thinking 'aw, poor guy' again.

Granted, Davi did a wonderfully convincing job of portraying Sanchez as a sleazy piece of shit enjoying the trappings of respectability, but Renard is the only Bond villain I ever find myself having any sympathy for, so he gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Davi, yes. Feels like a believable villain, a bastard, scum and ends in a particularly nasty way. Yes sir.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:10 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:
From the pool of talent offered I have to go with Robert Carlyle, if only for that moment when he's kissing Elektra goodbye and you can see his emotional pain at not being able to feel her lips anymore.

I almost find myself thinking, 'aw, poor guy...' then I remember that he is a lifelong terrorist about to nuke Istanbul. Then I remember that he's only doing it because he's being used by a woman whose incapable of love, and I find myself thinking 'aw, poor guy' again.

Granted, Davi did a wonderfully convincing job of portraying Sanchez as a sleazy piece of shit enjoying the trappings of respectability, but Renard is the only Bond villain I ever find myself having any sympathy for, so he gets my vote.

Thank you for supporting Robert. It's a role and a film that gets chronically overlooked. He does look like a lost schoolboy who has been dumped by his teacher after she's had sex with him, gotten tired of him, and moved on to the next thing. I'd probably want to blow up a city to if I lost a woman like Sophie Marceau.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptyFri Sep 09, 2011 11:51 pm

I apologize to the actor who played my namesake but I cast my vote for Davi. He's brilliant. The Sanchez vs. Dalton's Bond antagonistic relationship is one of the best in the series due in no small part to each actor's strengths in the role. Honorable mention to Sean Bean who easily stole GE from Brosnan.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 1:04 am

Davi easily.

If I could pick someone outside the list: Telly Savalas
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond)   Best Performance By An Actor In A Leading Role (non-Bond) Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1