More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Football Thread

Go down 
+7
Krilencu
colly
bondfan06
Hilly
G section
Fort Knox
Lazenby.
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Football Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun May 06, 2012 12:28 am

Sharky wrote:
As a Liverpool fan, tonight I will bow my head in shame and drink (a bit more than usual).

As a sort of 'journeyman' Liverpool fan myself ... yeah, it's a bit crap.

Still, a cup won and in the final of another ... Kenny's probably safe for a while yet.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun May 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Well done to Man City for adding a few white hairs tonight. Berks as well as heroes in the blue half.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun May 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Nice to see United end a season empty-handed, hehehe.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 12:48 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Nice to see United end a season empty-handed, hehehe.

It was kind of special seeing that moment at Sunderland when the Sunderland fans started cheering. Probably the best end in terms of drama to a PL season. I think the only time I recall getting this kind of tension was when four teams were in danger of being relegated from Palace, Southampton, Norwich and someone else...probably Wigan and it was Wigan (or whomever it was) who stayed. When I got home both Manchester's were winning then QPR equalise and a mood pervades of doom then go ahead and as it gets to 90mins I'm committed to City not doing it.

Well, says I wearing my Pompey shirt in town today...League One, League One...we're League One

*weeps*
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 1:36 pm

Great that the title has gone to someone other than the usual suspects. Although the manner in which City have done it, great football aside, is rather sickening - but it's not as if United and Chelski haven't bought the league before. With Hazard and Van Persie lined up for next season on top of the squad they already have, well....

As for Liverpool, I think if Dalglish wasn't the club legend that he is he would have been sacked long ago. He can count himself rather fortunate that he has the mickey-mouse cup to cling onto for dear life. All that money spent on absolute dross (Carroll, Downing etc.) and an eighth place finish in the Prem (and below Everton too). Oh dear.

Pleased with Norwich's season, it's been excellent, but it's going to be a hell of a lot harder next season. Need another regular goalscorer to compete with Holt and Morison as well as a defence that isn't so leaky. There's going to be six 'new' teams next season and the likes of QPR (bloody lucky to survive) will spend big to assure their survival. Nodge need to compete and buy some class (but not go about it like QPR).

Also, hi. :)

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 10:16 pm

G section wrote:
As for Liverpool, I think if Dalglish wasn't the club legend that he is he would have been sacked long ago. He can count himself rather fortunate that he has the mickey-mouse cup to cling onto for dear life. All that money spent on absolute dross (Carroll, Downing etc.) and an eighth place finish in the Prem (and below Everton too). Oh dear.

With the recent sacking, like many I've got my money on Rafael Benítez, a tried-and-true bet. That said, Louis Van Gaal and Marcelo Bielsa would be pretty big coups, though the later would be tough we lure out of Athletic Bilbao since he's only just completed his first full season there. Either way, whoever gets the job has to make a serious reform of the team. Lemons like Carroll, Downing and Adam need to go, bring in some fresh talent, and then Rafa can close the deal with his trademark continental midfielders. Only will we get out of an utterly sh**e 50-55 points, and get somewhere closer to the 60-70 margin, maybe even better. One can only hope..

Oh, and glad to see you back mate. :)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:19 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Still, a cup won and in the final of another ... Kenny's probably safe for a while yet.

Yeah, I clearly know my stuff laugh .
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Sharky wrote:
G section wrote:

With the recent sacking, like many I've got my money on Rafael Benítez, a tried-and-true bet. That said, Louis Van Gaal and Marcelo Bielsa would be pretty big coups, though the later would be tough we lure out of Athletic Bilbao since he's only just completed his first full season there. Either way, whoever gets the job has to make a serious reform of the team. Lemons like Carroll, Downing and Adam need to go, bring in some fresh talent, and then Rafa can close the deal with his trademark continental midfielders. Only will we get out of an utterly sh**e 50-55 points, and get somewhere closer to the 60-70 margin, maybe even better. One can only hope..

Oh, and glad to see you back mate. :)

Doubt Benítez will return. Not yet. Carroll, Downing, Adam and Henderson won't be going anywhere fast because of the ridiculously high fees that they were bought with in the first place. You'd struggle selling Carroll or Downing for half of what Dalglish paid for them (I think that's a given). Liverpool need to sign players that will bring the best out of what's already there and that will be hard to do as it will take tremendous skill and a real eye for talent to select the right players to gel as a team. You could argue that Bielsa has that skill as, due to Bilbao's Basque-only transfer-policy, it has meant that he has had to rely on the players he's already got, the excellent youth system that he has at his disposal, and a few key signings to create a fully-functional team. But you could say that because he hasn't really had the opportunity to spend big, he might do a Dalglish and rush into signing flavour-of-the-month (or season) players that don't gel, and at fees far beyond their worth.

I think Jürgen Klopp would be the best choice for the managerial vacancy out of those touted.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Klopp of the Kop.

Robert Martinez is...it seems in the frame.

Curiously, our manager's wanted by WBA. Wait Appy we have a pre-season against Gibraltar.
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Good to see the EURO discussion alive and kicking.
I think I'll have to join NuMI6 in order to wreak havoc.

:)
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:15 pm

The opening two matches were great. Since then it's been a bit boring. Hope the Irish do well later this evening. Can't say I'm looking forward to the England game tomorrow. Hope Germany win the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Never felt so low about England in a tournament before. Hardly any mention at work about the match. No buzz...but maybe, maybe, something good will go down.
Back to top Go down
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:27 pm

What irks me is that the BBC commentators, namely Mark Bright, have come to the conclusion that Poland and the Czech Republic are the weakest teams in the competition because they 'lack depth'. Yeah, because England don't lack depth do they? :roll:
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 pm

G section wrote:
What irks me is that the BBC commentators, namely Mark Bright, have come to the conclusion that Poland and the Czech Republic are the weakest teams in the competition because they 'lack depth'. Yeah, because England don't lack depth do they? :roll:

That depends how deep John Terry will kick his oppenent into the ground. :*p*:
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Thought Ireland would do better (than I and others expected). Croatia are all over them.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:23 pm

saint mark wrote:
G section wrote:

With John Terry it's not kicking an opponent you have to worry about. It's their significant other.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Hilly wrote:
saint mark wrote:
G section wrote:

With John Terry it's not kicking an opponent you have to worry about. It's their significant other.

Don't mention that in Madrid. ;)

The Swedish women and French women are lookers.

Lets hope he tries it with Abramavitch wife, that one will kick the living daylights out of Terry. :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Krilencu
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Krilencu

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 am

I will be rooting the for the Czechs, Swedes, Italians and Danes in the first place. Secondly I have sympathy for the Greeks, the Ukrainians, the Russians and the Portuguese.
I won't be in favour of one of the absolute favourites to take home the cup: the Dutch, the Germans or the Spanish.
The rest of the teams I have nothing against neither will I cheer for them fanatically.

Last edited by Krilencu on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Hope England won't disappoint us. :)
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 5:55 pm

England are seemingly persisting with what Petty Officer Pertwee would call "a flaming disastrical".
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 6:42 pm

85th minute, looks to be coasting towards a 1-1 draw. Same old England.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 6:57 pm

Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Wasn't inspired neither. Seemed like Gerrard was doing most of it by the end as was the referee.

Upwards and onwards to the Swedes.
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:30 pm

England were defending bravely, but their attacks were as awful as the German ones were. (Perhaps a bit more so). The Spanish are obviously the best side, I believe they were even a bit better than in the last two tournaments. They will just have to send a real striker on to the field.
I've always hated the Italians for diving and tricking and committing hidden fouls, and for playing awfully destructive, defense-focused matches. I was happy to read that Prandelli announced to change precisely those elements, and it looks like they are really adhering to his promises. They played admirably in their defense (as usual, but this time they played with a back three only!), they were fast and aggressive, but also rather fair. They were constantly trying to move forward and score. They faired admirably against Spain. It was the best match so far, though I missed Russia.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyMon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

The Dutch would have won 15-1 if only the goal had been wider and higher. :twisted:
Back to top Go down
Krilencu
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Krilencu

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am

England-France was a pathetic game. Both teams refused to play football. Ukraine and Sweden both had a positive attacking approach. I hope the latter will progress.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football Thread   Football Thread - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Football Thread
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next