More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The inevitability of a black Bond

Go down 
+27
Triviachamp
Control
jet set willy
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
tiffanywint
GeneralGogol
Moore
Prisoner Monkeys
Seve
Fort Knox
Blunt Instrument
Santa
Makeshift Python
Hilly
trevanian
bitchcraft
CJB
Louis Armstrong
RobDudley
saint mark
Chief of SIS
6of1
Largo's Shark
Salomé
Perilagu Khan
Gravity's Silhouette
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Kennon wrote:

And I didn't see him in a dress, haven't seen the ad, don't plan to either. What the eye don't see...

Reminds me of an episode of THE SIMPSONS...Homer is driving down the street, the light is getting ready to turn red, Homer says 'If I don't see it it doesn't exist' and decides to close his eyes as he barrels through the intersection.

I think ultimately a lot of fans will be caught off guard when a black actor is finally cast as Bond because they've either ignored, or missed, all the signs that it was coming (and trust me, EON's been giving off plenty of signs). The "left" has slowly been turning up the heat on our culture, and in a few more years we're all going to realize we're in boiling water and it'll be too late to do anything about it.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:05 pm

James Bond is a non African person and as such I would not accept it. If I go to a movie called Shaft and the main character would be played by a white actor I'd be out of the door in a flash.

I do not care about that PC bull manure.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:17 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
The "left" has slowly been turning up the heat on our culture, and in a few more years we're all going to realize we're in boiling water and it'll be too late to do anything about it.

Guess you're right, let's all shoot ourselves.
Back to top Go down
RobDudley

RobDudley

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 pm

[quote="Gravity's Silhouette"]
Kennon wrote:

I think ultimately a lot of fans will be caught off guard when a black actor is finally cast as Bond because they've either ignored, or missed, all the signs that it was coming (and trust me, EON's been giving off plenty of signs). .

Like what? Casting a blond blue-eyed Bond seems to be heading down a different slippery slope. No doubt you've found plenty of "signs".

Last edited by RobDudley on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 pm

What does that mean, Bob?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Chief of SIS wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Kennon wrote:
It just won't happen because everybody would be aware it's a desperate fluff stunt to get attention and it would just come across as cheap fishing for compliments.

Bet you never thought you'd see Bond in a dress either. And for the very same reasons.

My main issue with the discussion of this topic so far is the use of the terms left and right. While the terms can be convenient for quickly identifying the motives of a social or political issue, the problem is that using such language assumes there exists a certain motive. When you look at QoS, I think it's more important to ask 'what was the intent?' over saying 'that scene seemed left because x,y,z." The world is shrinking. Globalization is a natural event as the difficulties in international communication diminish. Some would see that as 'left' but in reality it's just the course of the world. There is no agenda in it really (certain aspects of course but there are 'right' motives in globalization too). I don't expect Bond to ignore the natural path of the planet. There can still exist 'right' ideas in a viewed 'left' trajectory.

I don't really disagree with this statement. Unlike many I don't see an overarching ideological thrust in QOS. Now there are Leftist hints and jabs, but there are hints and jabs that can be construed as conservative. QOS' innovation was inserting politcs--be they Left or right--so baldly into the proceedings. And I consider this a huge mistake.

But QOS is only the latest instantiation of Bond. We need to look at the overall drift--if any--of the series. And from GE onward I think it's clear that the series has drifted leftward. We got a female M who upbraids Bond for being a sexist, a misogynist (a bit redundent?) and an outmoded artefact of the Cold War. That was the starter's pistol signalling the conversion of Bond and the series into a Leftist crusading vehicle.

Very much tied into this trend is the emphasis on black characters. There was the Colin Salmon character in TND, Bull in TWINE, Jinx in DAD, Wright's Leiter in CR and QOS, and now we'll be treated to a black Moneypenny, apparently. Blacks are the most reliable liberal/Left voters, the very nexus of the Left's diversity narrative, and their superabundance in virtually any cultural enterprise is indicative of a leftward tilt.

It is very much apparent which way the wind is blowing in the world of Bond these days, and once the Left's diversity program has colonized the character of James Bond himself, the storm cloud will have burst upon us.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
But QOS is only the latest instantiation of Bond. We need to look at the overall drift--if any--of the series. And from GE onward I think it's clear that the series has drifted leftward.

If that's the case, then DAD was an anomaly. Many have pointed out a neocon angle to it, since it's directly post-9/11. At least in the first 3rd.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

RobDudley wrote:

Like what? Casting a blond blue-eyed Bond seems to be heading down a different slippery slope. No doubt you've found plenty of "signs".

Nice try. However, since I have a long, established record of opposition to Daniel Craig based upon him not looking anything like Ian Fleming's James Bond (and, after all, "going back to Fleming" was the whole point of recasting the role back in 2005, eh?), I am uniquely qualified to complain about a black actor looking even less like James Bond than Daniel Craig.

We all know EXACTLY why Daniel Craig was cast in the role. Not saying he's not good, but his talent in front of the camera wasn't the biggest individual reason for him getting the roll.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Not the casting couch? The horror!
Back to top Go down
6of1
Cipher Clerk
6of1

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:35 pm

RobDudley wrote:

Nice try. However, since I have a long, established record of opposition to Daniel Craig based upon him not looking anything like Ian Fleming's James Bond (and, after all, "going back to Fleming" was the whole point of recasting the role back in 2005, eh?), I am uniquely qualified to complain about a black actor looking even less like James Bond than Daniel Craig.

We all know EXACTLY why Daniel Craig was cast in the role. Not saying he's not good, but his talent in front of the camera wasn't the biggest individual reason for him getting the roll.

You mean you can attest to his talent behind the camera? Hey! How cool is that? You make a lot of steamy allusions, how about you start shitting? Either that or come off the potty, others have more use for it.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
But QOS is only the latest instantiation of Bond. We need to look at the overall drift--if any--of the series. And from GE onward I think it's clear that the series has drifted leftward.

Just so we can clarify, what aspects are we talking here? Are we talking about left in the sense of evil plots? Bond's actions? The women? The action scenes? I'm not challenging. I just want to know because I just don't see it as a purposeful 'left-agenda' or something like that,

By the way, I would just like to take a moment and say how skillful everyone is at conversing and articulating at this board. Don't forget the spot on sarcasm/comedic timing by all posters. It overwhelms me with joy.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Chief of SIS wrote:
By the way, I would just like to take a moment and say how skillful everyone is at conversing and articulating at this board. Don't forget the spot on sarcasm/comedic timing by all posters. It overwhelms me with joy.

And all for no pay!
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Chief of SIS wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Just so we can clarify, what aspects are we talking here? Are we talking about left in the sense of evil plots? Bond's actions? The women? The action scenes? I'm not challenging. I just want to know because I just don't see it as a purposeful 'left-agenda' or something like that,

I've alreaded pointed to the unwonted feminism and the encroaching multi-culti. You can add Bond's aversion to smoking, and arguably, his avoidance of sex, which is related to the feminist incursion.

Not to say that it's all Leftism and no play that's made Bond a dull boy. I consider TND's plot to have conservative overtones, there was anti-communist triumphalism in GE (particularly the title credits), I consider CR, on the whole, a fairly apolitical entry, and as I noted earlier, QOS gets in a few rightwing licks here and there. (I can't speak to Shark's neocon/DAD remark because I've erased DAD from my memory.)

Still, I get the sense that the Leftist tide is about to overspill the dykes, if I may use that term so late in the afternoon. B23 is, I believe, the fulcrum of the Bond series. Will Miccoli/Craig throw caution to the wind and let their political sympathies run wild as hinted at in QOS? Or will sanity return and they give us a tradiational, apolitical Bond film? Politically, B23 will be the most important Bond film ever.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 12:08 am

6of1 wrote:
You mean you can attest to his talent behind the camera? Hey! How cool is that? You make a lot of steamy allusions, how about you start shitting? Either that or come off the potty, others have more use for it.
laugh

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Politically, B23 will be the most important Bond film ever.
Coming from you, that sounds like a threat.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:37 am

I don't think "well they've already changed so much" is much of an excuse to go and alter Bond's race. Some deviation, as has happened over the decades, is inevitable, but as Tevye said, "If I bend that far, I will break."
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:01 am

Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
I'm more annoyed by the fact that they took the fun out of the character completely...

Yep. When you watch Craig's Bond do you really want to be him? Is there any man here who would have left Solange as he did? Not so much coitus interruptus as coitus non-startus.

He's fucking hopeless. I mean that literally.

For all you know, her poonanie was as loose as a boot and smelled like rotten fish. Why else would her husband treat her like a whoring piece of shit? Full marks for Bond running off and being macho by killing some expendable baddies.
Back to top Go down
Chief of SIS
'R'
'R'
Chief of SIS

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:02 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Only a true bond fan can make it sound like a Bond film is a life and death scenario. :)
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:37 am

6of1 wrote:
RobDudley wrote:

If these others of yours use for the potty is to crap out more casting miscues like Craig, then more is definitely not better.

Last edited by trevanian on Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RobDudley

RobDudley

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:21 am

RobDudley wrote:

Well, yes, a black actor will look less like James Bond than Daniel Craig. How profound; enjoy the uniqueness of your qualification in noticing that. So would a skinheaded Inuit. I don't recall reading that before so I'll claim unique qualification to make the point.

But where are these signs that a black actor is inevitable?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:26 am

Truth be told, I've heard that shit of "we all know EXACTLY why Daniel Craig was cast" before. But there's really only one way one can know this EXACTLY: if you've been with your mouth at the tip of the action (how long did it take Craig to come, I wonder???)

I'm not ashamed to admit that I wasn't, so I don't know nothing of it. OK, I'm not surprised that others know first hand, just wonder that they talk so openly about their spiel.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:29 am

Chief of SIS wrote:

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Only a true bond fan can make it sound like a Bond film is a life and death scenario. :)

A shver harts redt a sach.
Back to top Go down
6of1
Cipher Clerk
6of1

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 7:19 am

trevanian wrote:
6of1 wrote:
RobDudley wrote:

If these others of yours use for the potty is to crap out more casting miscues like Craig, then more is definitely not better.

Depends. As long as I'm spared from the smear campaigning I won't complain.

Last edited by 6of1 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:24 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:
I'm more annoyed by the fact that they took the fun out of the character completely...

Yep. When you watch Craig's Bond do you really want to be him? Is there any man here who would have left Solange as he did? Not so much coitus interruptus as coitus non-startus.

For all you know, her poonanie was as loose as a boot and smelled like rotten fish. Why else would her husband treat her like a whoring piece of shit? Full marks for Bond running off and being macho by killing some expendable baddies.

Et tu, Dog!
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Chief of SIS wrote:

Perilagu Khan wrote:

laugh

Touche'.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Salomé wrote:

Et tu, Dog!

007 does some rogering but always know that the job is more important than the girl. So him leaving a lady after some loving because the jobs calls him is very true to the character.
Most men would indeed be still rogering Solange but then 007 is supposed to be somebody special. :*h*:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The inevitability of a black Bond
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next