More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The inevitability of a black Bond

Go down 
+27
Triviachamp
Control
jet set willy
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
tiffanywint
GeneralGogol
Moore
Prisoner Monkeys
Seve
Fort Knox
Blunt Instrument
Santa
Makeshift Python
Hilly
trevanian
bitchcraft
CJB
Louis Armstrong
RobDudley
saint mark
Chief of SIS
6of1
Largo's Shark
Salomé
Perilagu Khan
Gravity's Silhouette
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 am

It's best to just accept that Bond is somehow ageless and the world changes around him, I find.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't see any inevitability. Whoever wants a black Bond can simply create their own character and stories, no? Just like the Americans have their own spy heroes, as do the Russians, French, etc.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
The problem with a black Bond--and I think it's a matter of when, not if--is that it will signify the complete conquest of Bond by the Left.

Going back to the beginning of this thread....and I liked this comment by Khan. It really sums up what the entire reason for having a black Bond, a gay Bond, a female Bond is all about.

For the first time in my entire life, I'm thinking of not going to see a Bond movie at the theater. I was too young to drive myself to see OP, so it's not my fault that I was a week or two behind in seeing it. Since then:

AVTAK: opening day
TLD: opening day
LTK: opening day
GE: opening day
TND: opening day
TWINE: a week late because I was in Cancun when the film premiered
DAD: opening day
CR: opening day
QOS: opening day
SF: ????

I'm so put out by reading Harris' comments regarding Idris Elba that I'm 50/50 on whether to go see SKYFALL or not, whereas just a week ago I was 100% certain to go see it. The fact that EON has not shot this down as rumor and categorically dismissed it out of hand as garbage...that they are even willing to entertain the idea.....troubles me. Before Harris' comment I assumed the rumor was just wishful, lefty fan-wankery. Now I see that it's more serious than a trifling rumor. If not Elba it could be some other black actor.

Once they "go black" I'll never go back. It will be the total abandonment of the Bond fan if any actor other than a 100% pure white male of British/Scottish/Irish/Welsh heritage is 007. I will have no loyalty left to the series once it happens.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

I'm so put out by reading Harris' comments regarding Idris Elba that I'm 50/50 on whether to go see SKYFALL or not, whereas just a week ago I was 100% certain to go see it. The fact that EON has not shot this down as rumor and categorically dismissed it out of hand as garbage...that they are even willing to entertain the idea.....troubles me. Before Harris' comment I assumed the rumor was just wishful, lefty fan-wankery. Now I see that it's more serious than a trifling rumor. If not Elba it could be some other black actor.

Once they "go black" I'll never go back. It will be the total abandonment of the Bond fan if any actor other than a 100% pure white male of British/Scottish/Irish/Welsh heritage is 007. I will have no loyalty left to the series once it happens.

Didn't Pierce Brosnan once suggest that Colin Salmon, who played Robinson, could be a future James Bond? Brozza carried far more weight at the time than Naomie Harris ever could...and it was just waffle for the press. Salmon did play Bond for test-screenings though...

I'm considering the Idris Elba talk as waffle too.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:14 pm

For the first time in my entire life, I'm thinking of not going to see a Bond movie at the theater. I was too young to drive myself to see OP, so it's not my fault that I was a week or two behind in seeing it. Since then:

Once they "go black" I'll never go back.

Bless. You realise it hasn't happened yet? You're quite safe to see SF. Daniel Craig is white.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:25 pm

....that they are even willing to entertain the idea"

But it's just Babs and others being pc. It makes them feel/appear progressive, just talking about it. But its never going to happen, it would sink the franchise. It makes no sense.

I'm not going to see SF opening day either. I don't get jacked for the Craig films. We get a way better price on Tuesdays. I can wait a few days and save cash.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

But it's just Babs and others being pc. It makes them feel/appear progressive, just talking about it. But its never going to happen, it would sink the franchise. It makes no sense.

I'm not going to see SF opening day either. I don't get jacked for the Craig films. We get a way better price on Tuesdays. I can wait a few days and save cash.

Other things I never thought I'd see:

#1 a black, gun-toting Moneypenny (allegedly)
#2 a gun-toting M (allegedly)
#3 a movie where M gets more screen time than the Bond Girls
#4 James Bond in a dress, wig, make-up and high heels lamenting the sexism that modern day women face

It's the 'boiling-frog' theory: EON has been conditioning us the past few years...softening us up so that when a black actor is revealed as Bond, we will all say it was "inevitable" and will praise the "forward" and progressive thinking that went into the casting.

I'm not suggesting I may wait a few days to see SKYFALL. I'm saying I may not go and see it at all; perhaps wait for it to hit Redbox, or simply find a way to view it illegally from home and/or download it off the web just to hurt EON. QUANTURD OF SOLACE is the one Bond film I do not own; not on regular dvd, not on blu-ray. It would not be much of a stretch to just not bother with SKYFALL either.

Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Talk about butt-hurt.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:10 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:

Didn't Pierce Brosnan once suggest that Colin Salmon, who played Robinson, could be a future James Bond? Brozza carried far more weight at the time than Naomie Harris ever could...and it was just waffle for the press. Salmon did play Bond for test-screenings though...

I'm considering the Idris Elba talk as waffle too.

Yeah, this. Your head is as level as your ass is fantastic, Aural.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:39 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Didn't Pierce Brosnan once suggest that Colin Salmon, who played Robinson, could be a future James Bond? Brozza carried far more weight at the time than Naomie Harris ever could...and it was just waffle for the press.
I agree.

What I suspect has happened here is that a journalist has seen a black actor cast in this particular role and seen it as an opening. They have then asked Harris a very particular question about the potential for a black actor in the role of James Bond - so particular that the answer is a foregone conclusion; Harris simply needed to say it in order for the journalist to be able to print it, and hey presto, story!

Whether or not Harris actually believes Elba could be cast as Bond at some point in the future is beside the point. The journalist probably wanted her to say it, and structured their questions accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:48 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Didn't Pierce Brosnan once suggest that Colin Salmon, who played Robinson, could be a future James Bond? Brozza carried far more weight at the time than Naomie Harris ever could...and it was just waffle for the press.
I agree.

What I suspect has happened here is that a journalist has seen a black actor cast in this particular role and seen it as an opening. They have then asked Harris a very particular question about the potential for a black actor in the role of James Bond - so particular that the answer is a foregone conclusion; Harris simply needed to say it in order for the journalist to be able to print it, and hey presto, story!

Whether or not Harris actually believes Elba could be cast as Bond at some point in the future is beside the point. The journalist probably wanted her to say it, and structured their questions accordingly.

Except she was quoted as saying that Elba confirmed to her he'd had informal talks with Barbara. That's what makes the story go from unfounded-rumor/fan-wishful-thinking to something a bit more worrisome. Not that I think Elba will get the role. He'll be too old for it by the time Craig steps away in 2016 or 2017, unless EON is willing to accept a mid-40's actor again in the role. But the groundwork IS being laid for a black Bond.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:08 am

Santa wrote:

Bless. You realise it hasn't happened yet? You're quite safe to see SF. Daniel Craig is white.

But for some few of us, his appearance is so far afield from what Bond is supposed to look like that for all intents & purposes, he might as well be black or a woman. I'd actually have less trouble accepting an out of left field choice like Elba, mainly because Gene Siskel kept voicing DenzelForBond long ago (not that I wanted that either) and the idea was at least out there, and also because I find him to be an excellent actor.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 am

Except she was quoted as saying that Elba confirmed to her he'd had informal talks with Barbara. That's what makes the story go from unfounded-rumor/fan-wishful-thinking to something a bit more worrisome. Not that I think Elba will get the role. He'll be too old for it by the time Craig steps away in 2016 or 2017, unless EON is willing to accept a mid-40's actor again in the role. But the groundwork IS being laid for a black Bond.
Where is it written that because he had talks with EON, EON will inevitably cast a black actor in the role? Elba is a pretty good actor. If I were calling the shots at EON, I'd certainly be willing to consider him for the role of Bond based on his talent. The fact that he happens to be black is beside the point. With SKYFALL, they have proven they can attract exceptional talent to the franchise, and I hope that is a trend that will continue in the future. Elba is certainly someone I would love to see in a Bond film - I think he'd be particularly good as a reimagined Mr. Big/Kananga if ever EON wanted to go down that path.

Just because Elba is supposedly being considered for the role, it doesn't mean that EON are considering him simply because he is black. You're a lot smarter than to fall for that sensationalist xenophobic crap, Gravy.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 am

Quote :
Except she was quoted as saying that Elba confirmed to her he'd had informal talks with Barbara.

The thing with the industry is that provided that you've spent time with that person, you can twist a story around it to make it seem more credible. For example, for a film I'm producing, when I'm emailing/calling agents, even if I hadn't received a reply, I am still saying that I've been in contact with an agent. I have, because I've sent an email or called, but it doesn't necessarily mean that their talent is on board my film. In this circumstance, the talk with the producers could have been a joke that he was making, or he could have suggested it, and the producers rejected the offer. But they still spoke about it, and that adds a grain of substantiation to the story.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:55 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Elba is a pretty good actor. If I were calling the shots at EON, I'd certainly be willing to consider him for the role of Bond based on his talent.

His talent is not in question.

Quote :
The fact that he happens to be black is beside the point.

Oh, well, in that case Mr.Elba won't have any problem stepping aside and letting someone else....like, say, Michael Fassbender, play the part of Nelson Mandela in that film project that he's currently working on.

To say that his being black is "beside the point" is widiculous. It's the whole point. Elba isn't being considered for a generic, vague role that could be played by anybody. He's being "considered" for a very specific part...a very iconic character that Mr.Elba in no way, shape, or form resembles. People who want to deny that skin color matters are also denying the culture, the life experiences, and the perspective of the people they think they're allegedly helping with this attitude.

Quote :

Just because Elba is supposedly being considered for the role, it doesn't mean that EON are considering him simply because he is black. You're a lot smarter than to fall for that sensationalist xenophobic crap, Gravy.

I thought "diversity" was about accepting people's differences and being fine with it, not about forcing a series or a person to change.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 7:10 am

I think its pretty clear what's going on here. Idris Elba does want to play Bond. He wants the role. He knows it's a long shot, because, well, his profile fits the role of Mr. Big more than it does Fleming's English spy. Still he's an actor, he wants a shot.

Babs is simply being pc which comes naturally to her. The pc response is to of course entertain the idea. So of course she talks to him and makes polite noises.

Harris on the other hand, I wouldn't even acuse of being pc. She's just an actress being put on the spot. So she seeks the safest answer. I would expect no less. Her response doesn't mean anything.

Bottom line, IMO, nothing will come of this, because saner heads, ie. those that count the cash, will not put the franchise at such risk. Elba will just have to find himself a Bond-like vehicle. It's worked for Craig. Craig has achieved huge success with his interpretation of a Bond-like character. 👅

I'm just thankful Bond makes so much damn money for Sony, MGM etc, that the bean-counters won't likely allow anything too radical to happen to the franchise. Too much cash to protect.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 3:22 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

I think its pretty clear what's going on here. Idris Elba does want to play Bond. He wants the role. He knows it's a long shot, because, well, his profile fits the role of Mr. Big more than it does Fleming's English spy. Still he's an actor, he wants a shot.

Babs is simply being pc which comes naturally to her. The pc response is to of course entertain the idea. So of course she talks to him and makes polite noises.

Harris on the other hand, I wouldn't even acuse of being pc. She's just an actress being put on the spot. So she seeks the safest answer. I would expect no less. Her response doesn't mean anything.

Bottom line, IMO, nothing will come of this, because saner heads, ie. those that count the cash, will not put the franchise at such risk. Elba will just have to find himself a Bond-like vehicle. It's worked for Craig. Craig has achieved huge success with his interpretation of a Bond-like character. 👅

I'm just thankful Bond makes so much damn money for Sony, MGM etc, that the bean-counters won't likely allow anything too radical to happen to the franchise. Too much cash to protect.

I couldn't have said it better. All this is a storm in a tea cup. Plus, Fleming's influence on the films is back in style.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 9:21 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

I think its pretty clear what's going on here...Babs is simply being pc which comes naturally to her. The pc response is to of course entertain the idea. So of course she talks to him and makes polite noises.

I think you're right. Thank you for your salient points and calm words. You've talked me off the ledge and am planning on going to see SKYFALL again.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 6:34 am

I think you're right. Thank you for your salient points and calm words. You've talked me off the ledge and am planning on going to see SKYFALL again.

Be careful though, Skyfall might put you back on the ledge, where you might find me as well, after two-hours-plus of Bond and Mommy.
Back to top Go down
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:40 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

Be careful though, Skyfall might put you back on the ledge, where you might find me as well, after two-hours-plus of Bond and Mommy.

don't worry aka timmer, if you're out on the ledge, I'm sure Craig Bond will save you by finding a nice big dumpster to push out below, so you'll have something soft to land on when you jump (probably M this time?)
laugh
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Seve wrote:

don't worry aka timmer, if you're out on the ledge, I'm sure Craig Bond will save you by finding a nice big dumpster to push out below, so you'll have something soft to land on when you jump (probably M this time?)
laugh
Is there room for Grav too?! That could be a crowded dumpster.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
Seve wrote:

laugh

If it's the same dumpster Bond threw Mathis in, we're gonna need a bigger dumpster.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
Seve wrote:

laugh

If it's the same dumpster Bond threw Mathis in, we're gonna need a bigger dumpster.

Actually Daniel san will only use the dumpster after you go splat, it's his way.....
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 pm

laugh

That really made me laugh.

And for what its worth GS, if EON ever dare cast a black Bond, I will most certainly be joining you in turning my back on the franchise. Hopefully it will never happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 pm

jet set willy wrote:

laugh

That really made me laugh.

And for what its worth GS, if EON ever dare cast a black Bond, I will most certainly be joining you in turning my back on the franchise. Hopefully it will never happen.

Good. Our movement to keep Bond from being cast with a black man has now doubled in size. And for the record, I don't give a rat's ass if anyone thinks it is racist to not want a black Bond. I'm so far past that argument I could care less what people think or say about me. Bond is white. He is British (or from the Commonwealth). He is heterosexual. He is, well...a man. And he better damn well stay that way. And I don't have a problem with just a black actor being cast as Bond; I have a problem with all other races and ethnicities being cast as Bond. I'm an equal opportunity bigot.

I have no problem with a spin-off universe of individual 00-agent films that have gay 00-agents, black 00-agents, Eurasian 00-agents, female 00-agents. I think it would be a smart move on EON's part to widen the demographics and the offerings, and I would watch them. But let me be clear: if Bond is anything less than straight, white, male and British, I'm out of here. I've already been pushed to my limit with Bond and his wearing a dress, pimping for womyn's rights issues, for having Mommy issues with M.....anymore pushing from Bab's radical feminist agenda and I'm going to push back.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The inevitability of a black Bond   The inevitability of a black Bond - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The inevitability of a black Bond
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next