More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

British Politics thread

Go down 
+24
Santa
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
SarahN
Staugust
lachesis
Hilly
Campbell4
Salomé
CJB
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
j7wild
Gravity's Silhouette
saint mark
Control
tiffanywint
G section
jet set willy
Vesper
retrokitty
HJackson
Ravenstone
Blunt Instrument
Largo's Shark
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

British Politics thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Very good article that on the BEEB.

Having been an ex-BBC man myself, I know the amount of dead wood that was in place while I worked there, and the recent cuts probably still only touch the surface. Red tape is rife, just like any other government organisation, commercially naive, and everything is done by committee.

Having said that, they are mostly decent people who work there (unlike Sky) and if it wasn't for the BEEB, we would never have seen classic programmes such as Fawlty Towers, The Office, Blackadder, Only Fools & Horses, Life on Mars, Top Gear, Monty Python, etc.

The BEEB still manages to make the best programmes on UK telly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 am

Well said, JSW.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:00 am

I agree, but it shouldn't be mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 1:14 am

jet set willy wrote:
Very good article that on the BEEB.

Having been an ex-BBC man myself, I know the amount of dead wood that was in place while I worked there, and the recent cuts probably still only touch the surface. Red tape is rife, just like any other government organisation, commercially naive, and everything is done by committee.

Having said that, they are mostly decent people who work there (unlike Sky) and if it wasn't for the BEEB, we would never have seen classic programmes such as Fawlty Towers, The Office, Blackadder, Only Fools & Horses, Life on Mars, Top Gear, Monty Python, etc.

The BEEB still manages to make the best programmes on UK telly.

very true. The cursed thing is I still want to work for them if I ever got into broadcast. Not going to happen at the rate things are going but still, the old Beeb Beeb Ceeb as the Goons would say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
G section
Q Branch
Q Branch
G section

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Sean Penn, stop sticking your nose in.

Regards,

The Falkland Islanders.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 pm

G section wrote:
Sean Penn, stop sticking your nose in.

Regards,

The Falkland Islanders.

hear bloody hear.

And double to Argentina. I'd say send the fleet but the best we can do is a dinghy I'd imagine.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 pm

A couple of years ago Penn called for journalists who label Hugo Chavez a dictator to be jailed. Demented piece of dreck. Unbelievable that Hollywood tolerates a man with such hateful, extremist politics. Oh wait, hateful extremism is alright if you aim it at the English-speaking nations.

On his Falklands comments, he said that Britain's claim to the islands is "imperialist and archaic." And Argentina's claim to it is what exactly then? The Islanders are British and wish to remain so. It's the Argentines who want to subjugate these people (or ethnically cleanse them). How's that for imperialism?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:12 pm

Exactly the point CJB. Though on top of this I believe Obama has sidled alongside Plastic Kirchner on this issue.
This whole thing is about the only time I've warned to the PM curiously enough.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:19 pm

CJB wrote:
And Argentina's claim to it is what exactly then?

Argentinians are lovely foreign brown people who make delicious dulce de leche at my local exotic cuisine store in Marin County. Please don't blame them for anything.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:22 pm

Obama is a certified Anglophobe. That's been fairly clear ever since he sent back that bust of Churchill early in his presidency. As unimpressive as the Republican field is, I'm always reminded of the fact that the current White House occupant is pretty damn awful and the prospect of a Romney presidency doesn't sound so bad.

Now how about Britain redirects all funding from global climate warming change programmes to the Royal Navy? :)
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 pm

I hope the global warming funding is pretty hefty, we've cut right back on the navy from what I've seen and heard. Sold all our Harrier jets which won the last Falklands war to the US Marines, the one carrier we've got (Illustrious) is going to be helicopter carrying and even then not until next year. Ark Royal is likely to become a diver's reef thing.

I do like the RN's spokesmen over the Dauntless which we've sent south. "Dauntless can shoot down every fighter jet in South America let alone Argentina." and "We could strike Argentina from the Falklands."

Sabre rattling indeed. :)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:31 pm

CJB wrote:
A couple of years ago Penn called for journalists who label Hugo Chavez a dictator to be jailed. Demented piece of dreck. Unbelievable that Hollywood tolerates a man with such hateful, extremist politics. Oh wait, hateful extremism is alright if you aim it at the English-speaking nations.

On his Falklands comments, he said that Britain's claim to the islands is "imperialist and archaic." And Argentina's claim to it is what exactly then? The Islanders are British and wish to remain so. It's the Argentines who want to subjugate these people (or ethnically cleanse them). How's that for imperialism?

Penn is a certified arse. He cruises the world in a righteous quest to right all "wrong" and slay all "injustice"

The hubris is staggering. Hollywood loves him because he fits right in with their arrogant conformist correct- thinking brand of liberalism.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Kirchner told to watch it (words to effect) by intellectuals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9098633/Cristina-Kirchner-told-to-leave-Falkland-Islanders-alone-by-Argentinas-intellectuals.html

but even if you don't click on the link the photo from it chills...

British Politics thread - Page 4 Sean_penn_2142077b

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm

I liked this comment:

Quote :
Could someone please tell me why anyone is concerned with what Sean Penn says, thinks, believes, drinks, snorts or anything else? I absolutely refuse to believe that he has the intellect God gave a grapefruit and yet there are untold numbers of people that believe he is one of the great intellects of the day.

As a people, have we nothing better to concern ourselves with than what some third rate actor thinks? More concern needs to be placed on Kirchner thinks than anything that could ever come out of the mouth of that Penn creature. Kirchner can start a war. Penn probably has problems starting his car.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 6:42 pm

The Telegraph does have its choice comments and that's top 10 on that article :)

Bit classier than "with lips like that no wonder Nestior Kirchner died"
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Penn is a c***.

But his ex-wife is milfy.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
Penn is a c***.

And another one of his exes is also not looked upon that well by Bondfans, they still "love" her titlesong. ;)

Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:52 am

saint mark wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Penn is a c***.

And another one of his exes is also not looked upon that well by Bondfans, they still "love" her titlesong. ;)

Brown might be talking about the same MILF though. Hmmmm.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 am

tiffanywint wrote:
saint mark wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
Penn is a c***.

Brown might be talking about the same MILF though. Hmmmm.

I thought he was refering to Robin Wright http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000705/

she is more MILFY in my humble opinion.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Local elections today. Couldn't be bothered to vote.

Rosette and campaign trails
False gestures, too much make-up
Elected to serve the public
How did you make your fortune?

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:24 pm

Didn't have any our way. Not that it'd matter, we're a Tory stronghold in most senses.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 8:57 pm

I voted Labour, but the Liberal Democrat won my ward and ended my undefeated streak in local election voting. Very disappointing.

Also, as a comment on BBC's Baroness Warsi sparks UKIP fury over BNP suggestion story, I have to say I agree whole-heartedly with Gawain Towler's candid comments - Warsi is a stupid cow and I'm glad most of her party hate her and don't respect her.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling errors to avoid 'damaging pupils' self esteem'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142547/Schools-deliberately-failing-correct-spelling-mistakes-avoid-damaging-pupils-self-esteem.html#ixzz1ufMUkC95

The fall of western civilization is almost complete. It cannot, and will not, continue to be the most advanced, prosperous culture in the world because it is being crushed under the weight of modern day political correctness and liberalism. This sort of "progressive" thinking is not confined to the U.K. I see this all the time in the U.S. We've raised generations of pussies who think they're all special because their mommy and their school teacher told them so, and they're not equipped for the real world once they leave school and have to compete in the market place of ideas.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Schools are deliberately failing to correct spelling errors to avoid 'damaging pupils' self esteem'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2142547/Schools-deliberately-failing-correct-spelling-mistakes-avoid-damaging-pupils-self-esteem.html#ixzz1ufMUkC95

Utterly disgusting. How anybody can actually think that is a good idea is beyond me, just like state school quotas in university admissions.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Thousands march against economic gloom in Spain, UK

MADRID (Reuters) - Thousands of Spaniards fed up with economic misery and waving banners against bankers marched on Saturday to mark the first anniversary of the grassroots "Indignados" movement that has sparked similar protests around the world.

More at:

http://news.yahoo.com/thousands-march-against-economic-gloom-spain-uk-201911721--business.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically another worthless protest. Who actually marches *FOR* economic gloom and misery? It's not exactly a courageous stand to come out against misery and gloom and unemployment, but as usual the anger is misdirected. The marchers are all protesting against banks and FOR someone to do something at some point in the future, but they have no idea what it is that needs to be done, other than for the government to "create jobs".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

British Politics thread
Page 4 of 28Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16 ... 28  Next