More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

James Bond Youtube Thread

Go down 
+24
Blunt Instrument
hegottheboot
silvertoe
JMY
You don’t know me
Hilly
Denbigh
Walecs
Bond Fan 90
Makeshift Python
TedHeath
Mr. Trevelyan
MBalje
G section
GeneralGogol
Louis Armstrong
Largo's Shark
CJB
retrokitty
Drax
colly
Prince Kamal Khan
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Lazenby.
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 12:19 am

That's a new one!

There's always a nice hokey charm to ads from that era. A simpler time.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 12:35 am

It's not too shabby. Clean that image up you could slip that into one of those "Lazenby in DAF" trailer mashups.

There's a Don Rickles/Carson clip where whoever uploaded it didn't cut out the adverts and there's this fantastic one for Budweiser, mid-70s I think. Proper little time capsule, guy taking pictures of a football match. Something, as you say, of a simpler time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 1:08 am

Alas, Don Rickles wouldn't make it in today's infantocracy.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2020 1:51 am

No.3!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 1:21 am

Footage of a 1994 Bond convention with Peter Hunt talking. Uploaded by the fan who recorded it and his channel has another video with George from the same event.
It’s like a time capsule.

I so wish I had been able to go to events like this in the pre Internet age when so many key figures were still with us.
Back to top Go down
silvertoe
'R'
'R'
silvertoe

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jan 03, 2021 11:52 am

intrigued but i can't hear a word. sad
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 6:11 pm

A new commentary strikes like....a fan talking about Peter Hunt's editing rhythms and usages of transitional edits and optical wipes and having to hack away at the second act like mad...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 6:38 pm

Ambassador you spoil us. Now we're back in lockdown, I'll endeavour to catch up.

Giving me the impetus to get a DAF50 commentary done. Even if I 'premiere' it for later in the year.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Jan 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptySat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 pm

hegottheboot wrote:

No.3!

Caught on this one and TB, Boots. Nice work. Gave us a fair bit to think about which is no bad thing. I had no idea the final cut of TB rounded out around 4hrs. I figured 3hrs. Imagine the 4hr cut. If he was alive, Terence Young would have done a blu-ray cut of it by now.

I like the set-up. I was thinking before listening to these that for my DAF50 one to ditch my mush -no one wants to see that, hence my recent history vids. I rely on my phone for it but sounds like you have a better set-up which sounds good.

Nice work.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jan 10, 2021 4:54 am

Thank you!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.
I was afraid my babblings would be far too much for most people to take. Instead of doing major prep I try to just do a stream of consciousness approach like I did on my first commentaries and similar to the ones you did.
I've sampled a few fan commentaries and youtube ones before and couldn't believe they were just two hour reaction videos so decided what the heck I can do one of these since I don't have any fancy editing hardware at the moment. These should roughly sync with most video editions and by wearing headphones there's no film audio and thus no danger of getting copyright flag.

Going audio only frees you up and makes it slightly less nerve wracking to do. Audio is crucial in most youtube videos and it made me think why not try some commentary tracks out. For video I still use my phone but started using external mics pretty early and then syncing the tracks.
I use a simple usb mic, desk boom arm, pop filter and audacity. Then I have to render out a video file that youtube will take.
I use the samson Q2U mic which is an amazing quality mic for about $55 US. The stand and pop filter are cheap ones and of course audacity is free open source.

If using your phone there are some great cheap lavalier mics out there that just plug in.

Still I get very nervous before recording one of these thinking: is this going to make any sense? Will I sound like an idiot? The trouble is there's so much to discuss I can barely cram in as much as I do. Seeing the waveform shows I hardly take a breather.

TB at 4 hours is a rumor and what the official research seems to indicate. It could have been 3 but I would safely assume at least somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptySun Jan 10, 2021 6:27 pm

Well, I do zero prep that's for sure. Like my bus tour nonsense, I obviously have a line to say on things but no two tours are the same in that I improvise a deal. So it is with the Bond stuff. I was told in my previous job that I have the unique ability to interrupt myself when talking, so my mind is always rambling.

I shall go on record in saying I don't care for reaction videos. As you say a great many on YouTube are reaction videos. I personally don't get the appeal. Sitting there watching someone's face reacting. I glimpsed one for the last Star Wars film's trailer and...I'm there to watch the trailer, not some idiot.

Good point on the copyright flag stuff. For the ones I've done, I had the film turned down enough and as you do, say "oh...this where Tracy skates up to Bond" kind of thing. In theory, if it's good enough, the audience knows. If not, they can't call themselves a Bond fan :)

I'll have to look into microphones etc. Certainly wish I had invested in such stuff at the start of this pandemic considering the amount of Zoom/teams calls I've done, the TV quiz audition thing on Skype and all these YT vids. See if I can get it in for when I go to university in September.

I feel nervous for the reasons you state. Irony is I can get self-conscious of my face and yet I'm a tour guide. Try to imagine no one watches them (indeed, 90% of my stuff gets 0-1 views average. Analytics are interesting, my Octopussy commentary has had an average watch of 14 seconds...)

You sounded like you know your stuff, which of course you do, but to a stranger and certainly one who isn't on this forum, it's assured. Something I was told last year was that I sound still enthusiastic on a tour and considering I've done 3 a day 4-5 days a week for over a year, pandemic aside, that was a compliment I didn't mind.

TB being anything over 3hrs sounds about right from what I've read from Peter Hunt. I saw the video you linked at the convention and him saying OHMSS was a 3h cut (this is always the case in film, he says)...well, I lived against hope.

Look forward to more, certainly the OHMSS one.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 12:02 am

I look forward to more tracks from you!
I like doing this apart of stuff and can spiel the hours away but the initial nerves never quite go away.
Definitely try out an external mic. It makes a world of difference no matter what type you choose. I’d recommend getting something solid like either a Samson mic or blue yeti like most use.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Thanks Boots on both fronts. I'll see what I can. I've managed to save money in lockdown and some of it's for uni but I'm sure a mike won't break the bank.

I see you've YOLT and OHMSS up, I'll work my way to them this week.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 am

I've been lucky to get enough time to be doing one or two per week. As usual I finished recording this one and realized I once again only scratched the surface. In particular since I've always felt George comes across so well I didn't even do the defending George shtick.

After doing this one I once again thought: Is OHMSS the pure Fleming adaptation fans always pontificate about? Instead of the doing 50's period piece Fleming direct adaption-in practically every way OHMSS is the one off direct novel adaptation.

That and the fact that I think the film is Maibaum's best adapting work. When studied closely the ways he condenses and streamlines the novel better intertwines the main plot with the romance and when they finally come together at Murren the drama is heightened because Tracy is a direct participant throughout and firmly joined with Bond at that point-which also sets Bond's resolve to marry her in motion.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2021 10:08 pm

I'll have to check these videos out in stages, HGTB. I enjoyed watching Hilly's iterations so I imagine yours would be as good too.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 9:30 pm

Mank mode engaged. 1971. Unmistakable.

I put my defender garb on. Used the masterpiece term.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Sounds intriguing. I really need to catch up. I see you have one about the Hardy Boys. Loved reading them back in the day.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 4:29 am

Hilly wrote:
Sounds intriguing. I really need to catch up. I see you have one about the Hardy Boys. Loved reading them back in the day.
The Hardy Boys are such a massive part of popular culture and aren’t recognized enough. I’m still a massive fan. I’ve been collecting them my whole life practically. I’ve done several videos so far detailing the bulk of my collection. I’m just a few away from having all the original texts for the first 38 books, have the revised canon books, most of the digest books, some of the modern relaunch series and just recently finally got all 127 Casefiles for a complete set.

I have started a series reread but this time I’m making sure to read each original canon book back to back with its original text edition. (The first 38 were rewritten and revised over a long period starting in the 1950’s)

I did read some of the Nancy Drew books and have a small collection accordingly including the crossover books. My other favorite children’s series are the amazing Three Investigators books.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am

Ah, the Hardy Boys and the Three Investigators books ... that takes me back. Remember the Hardy Boys making it to TV, with Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy as Frank and Joe.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm

I'm not familiar with the Three Investigators. I know I used to have a few omnibus volumes of the Hardy's. Never read Nancy Drew. Closest I've gotten is knowing Anne Lockhart was in the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series pre-BSG78.

No one under a certain age nowdays seems to know the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew. When things reopen, I might scout the local Waterstones and see.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:46 am

More on The Three Investigators -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Investigators

And talk of them brought these Bond-connected ones to mind from my childhood ... I think I only read one of them, mind -

http://markwestwriter.blogspot.com/2013/07/nostalgic-for-my-childhood-roger-moore.html
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 4:45 pm

Thank ye, I'll have to look into it properly. Broaden the horizons, as it were.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:19 pm

OMG Roger and the Crimefighters!!!
How did I not know of this?!?!?! Mind blown!
Now I must find these!
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 11:26 pm

T3I are like the Hardy’s but with three boys and intensely well written mysteries with genuine hooks and plots. A few writers wrote the later volumes but the big selling point were that the boys had each tale introduced by Alfred Hitchcock himself who they met in the first volume. After Hitchcock’s death the publishers created a mystery writer character to introduce the later books and reprints of the original 30 titles. The series ended in the 80’s and since then has seen no complete reprinting though it is still extremely popular in Germany for some random reason and they have not only new books written over there but have had two feature films.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Bond Youtube Thread   James Bond Youtube Thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

James Bond Youtube Thread
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next