More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

British Politics thread

Go down 
+24
Santa
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
SarahN
Staugust
lachesis
Hilly
Campbell4
Salomé
CJB
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
j7wild
Gravity's Silhouette
saint mark
Control
tiffanywint
G section
jet set willy
Vesper
retrokitty
HJackson
Ravenstone
Blunt Instrument
Largo's Shark
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

British Politics thread - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Hilly KCMG wrote:
Good old Penny

Good old Melissa. Her article today is a timely reminder that not all women are completely bonkers:

Sorry for touching your knee Michael Fallon – I exploited you to get ahead
Flirting makes the world go round – well, the political and media worlds anyway
Melissa Kite

Quote :
This one goes out to all the male MPs I’ve taken to lunch. I want to apologise to each and every one of you. Some of you know who you are and what went on. Some of you were so tipsy you may not have been fully aware of how shockingly you were being exploited.

I estimate there are dozens, if not hundreds, of you whom I’ve taken to lunch, dinner and drinks during my time as a political correspondent.

In dark bars and expensive restaurants, or just casually in Commons corridors, I’ve sidled up to you in a designer outfit and pretty much said ‘Howdy, right honourable!’

I took advantage of men to get ahead, and because I enjoyed it. And yes, Michael Fallon was one of them.

I cosied up to them, batted my eyelids, wore the right outfit.

‘Wear the black dress,’ one chap would say to me before lunch. And sometimes, if I was feeling generous, I wore it.

One MP asked me to marry him and I turned him down. There was a peer I chased relentlessly, having fallen hopelessly in love. He turned me down. But that is another story.

There can be no excuse for genuine harassment and abuse. But flirting? Flirting makes the world go round. Well, it made my world go round anyway

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/11/sorry-for-touching-your-knee-michael-fallon-i-exploited-you-to-get-ahead/

It's perfectly fine for her to view the dynamic this way.
Where I would start to disagree is the expectation that all of her peers perceive it exactly like that themselves.
Surely it should be a female political correspondents own choice if she deploys her womanly wiles to get ahead or keeps it all 100% professional?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyFri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 pm

Yes, good ol' Melissa.

I fully expect Penny to be PM soon. Rate this government's going, it might just last that long.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 9:27 pm

Jacob Rees-Mogg for PM.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 am

j

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 12, 2017 5:52 pm

If Labour want Boris out, best cleanse their ranks from top to bottom.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 7:20 am

An Ordinary British Muslim wrote:
“No, I’m not a Nazi, I’m an ordinary British Muslim..."

Inadvertently perhaps, but this was the most telling quote.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 9:10 pm

British politics is turning into some weird Twilight Zone. Watching from a distance it feels like I'm watching a film. A Monty Python film, actually.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Is it really that much worse than on the continent? I think if you threw any of the continental governments a problem as complex as managing a successful Brexit, they would look lost too at times.
It's also further complicated by the Tories losing a significant amount of senior figures in the aftermath of the referendum.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 1:10 am

In keeping with recent kosher-related discussions:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-1986-letter-prince-charles-blames-foreign-jews-for-mid-east-turmoil/

British Politics thread - Page 22 Screen-Shot-2017-11-12-at-9.02.05-AM-e1510470406735

He's right, though, all two dozen of the Jews left in Poland after the war are the cause of the Middle East's problems.

All the more reason for Prince Tampon and that other one to be skipped for King Harry the Tali-Bane.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am

Salomé wrote:
Is it really that much worse than on the continent? I think if you threw any of the continental governments a problem as complex as managing a successful Brexit, they would look lost too at times.
It's also further complicated by the Tories losing a significant amount of senior figures in the aftermath of the referendum.

Well I can't speak for every other country but no, it's probably not that much worse than here in Spain. Our politics at the moment are a car crash - but then I kind of expect it here. That's pretty standard Spanish behaviour. I haven't seen it get this weird in the UK for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 4:01 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 4:49 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
To keep the debate topical and moderate the fucking language, may I suggest we all use this in future:

https://phrasegenerator.com/politics

May I start by saying I will not stand for a Britain where whores and pot smokers undermine our Christian traditions.

But I thought you liked whores and pot smokers?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

b

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 7:11 pm

I will work for an America where communists and racists can't undermine our sense of trust.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 am

"Unlike my opponent, I believe in our medical dramas, our basic democratic principles and our Bill of Rights."

If I hear another bad word about ER... angry
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 7:06 pm

'When I'm elected, I'll make sure racists and Washington elitists cannot corrupt our megachurches.'
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Found this on Twitter, regarding ex-British politician Gerry Adams, who announced his upcoming retirement as President of Sinn Féin in 2018:

Come, A Chara, rest your weary head,
Let not the dead keep you from your bed.
Their voices trouble you, never go away,
But, smile; here is your day.
You've sowed our fields
With children's bones, decreed
Them fools: fodder for your IRA.  
But, smile; here is your day.
#GerryAdams

British Politics thread - Page 22 Extensive-scientific-research-shows-that-this-is-the-last-image-6733333

British Politics thread - Page 22 00ED46F500000190-0-image-m-48_1426289203636
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 am

Gerry's retirement will give him even more time to tweet about trampolining in the nude with his dog/spectacularly ill-advised thoughts while watching Django Unchained.

He's just an eccentric oul grandad now, you see. In no way was he once the figurehead of the biggest terrorist threat to the UK, oh no.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Think of Brian Blessed's line about him when talking about Thatcher's funeral on HIGNFY. No love lost for Adams.
Back to top Go down
Professor Train
Cipher Clerk
Professor Train

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Think of Brian Blessed's line about him when talking about Thatcher's funeral on HIGNFY. No love lost for Adams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isaIhX7llVk

Brilliant stuff!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 7:22 pm

One of my favourite HIGNFY moments was when (about halfway through one of the episodes Blessed presented) an incredulous Paul Merton asked 'Brian, what are you like when you're drunk?'
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 10:27 pm

Aye. One of my favourite HIGNFY's lines is the late Brucie's indignant: "Please! This is satire!"
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 7:42 am

Hehehe ... during 'Play Your Iraqi Cards Right', I bet.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Hehehe ... during 'Play Your Iraqi Cards Right', I bet.

Indeed so. One of the most hilarious if surreal moments on that show. Inspired really.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 EmptyThu Dec 07, 2017 7:50 am

It was in spectacularly poor taste, thank God. Satire is nothing without 'sharp corners', IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British Politics thread   British Politics thread - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

British Politics thread
Page 22 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28  Next